"Good Enough" Living - Lessons from a Stylist

I had one of those days. I heard things. I saw things. Both of which made their way into the musings of my mind. I've been doing quite a bit of scouting for magazines lately. That means I find people who might, for one reason or another, have a cool home - something that might be of interest to a magazine. Then, I call them up and they feel complimented (because someone else has told me they have a cool home and I tell them that) and I get to go see it. I've seen several this week and they all were so wonderfully personal and unique - not cookie-cutter homes.

Today I saw one that is owned by a stylist. I have a special place in my heart for sylists since I am one. It is a lot of work to style a photo shoot or a create a set for a commercial shoot. We are of the theatre, really. Set designers. Jay Bruns was the Director of the Photo Studio for Dayton's back in the 1980's - probably it's heyday, can't you imagine? He is now a freelance stylist (www.jbrunsdesign.com.) I heard about Jay from Susan Gilmore, a photographer with whom I often work. He was described this way, "There is no one like Jay." So, I figure I need to meet the guy - he must have an intersting home.

He was very gracious and invited me to come by - I had a bit of a ploy - I want to do a story on the things we can learn about interior design from the stylists. My hunch was right on. There is so much to learn. Check out these photos of Jay's home. Bingo.


Living Room Detail. PLEASE NOTE a wooden case piece in this photo! That is the lesson from the stylists. Save enough in the budget for a wooden case piece!


The 2nd floor sun room.


Delicious compilation of things that are interesting.


Storing stuff.


The monastic stairwell.

Part Two of the story...I was having a drink with a friend and we are both in the interiors business - lamenting the state of our own homes - you know, the "shoemaker's children." Then she said, "Ya know, I've got a new phrase for the way things are....'good enough.' It's just 'good enough.'" I toasted to that. What a good idea. We don't need things to be perfect. Good enough is just fine.

Somehow, as I write this and look at the photos from Jay's home, I see a theme. His home isn't perfect. It isn't filled with that which is the most expensive, the things you would have seen in Domino or Architectural Digest. Nothing is featured in this month's Elle Decor. But it is "good enough." It is personal and unique and timeless and interesting. That is the real deal.

Comments

  1. Alecia, your blog is amazing! I love it!!! I am so glad that you got to meet Jay and see his lovely home! Yes there is nothing like Jay Bruns! Your writing & vignettes captured perfectly the wonderful feeling one gets from being there. You could curl up in his space, sip wine and unwind ... and do it in style in his home.
    xoxoxo
    Susan Gilmore

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts