Curried Lentils with Spinach - Here You Go

I've been making this lentil dish this fall. I kind of made it up so when people eat it and want the recipe I have to tell them i don't have one. Well, I made it last night and I paid attention, so here it is. I had leftovers tonight. It is truly my favorite dish right now. I know I'll get sick of it, but I can't imagine anything healthier and more hearty. Enjoy if you are so inspired.

ok...here you go.... This is about 6 bowls of lentils. But it gets better by the day.



Use stew pot - or pasta pot - or large cast iron skillet

1/4 c. olive oil
1 small - medium onion, finely chopped
3 cloves garlic - pressed or finely chopped

Heat low - medium to cook onion.

Add 1 T curry powder
a few shakes cayenne pepper flakes
black pepper
salt - I love sea salt - to taste.

While this is cooking.....rinse and drain 1 1/2 cup lentils in a colander.
I use a mixture of plain lentils and French lentils - about 50/50.
You could use just one of them if you like.

Add lentils to pot and stir so it soaks up the oil and spices.

Let it cook while you chop 4 - 5 carrots (sliced)
Chop 2 medium or 3 smaller potatoes with the skin on - into bite size pieces.

throw these into the pot. Stir.

Add 6 cups chicken broth.
1 large can peeled ground tomatoes.
1 bunch of fresh spinach - chop above the tie so you use only the leaves. Wash ALL the sand off.
You may leave the water on it. Chop it up in to bite size pieces and add to stew.

Cook for 1 - 1.5 hour just barely boiling - usually low/medium heat.
You may have to add a bit of water to thin, but should be thick and able to serve on a plate.
Turn off for 30 min. before serving.

Adjust salt, pepper and cayenne pepper to taste.

When you serve, I pour a bit of olive oil and balsamic on the lentils. You can add grated parmesan.

You can also use a nice greek, plain yoghurt instead of the above.

Yummmmm. Start a fire. Open wine.

Comments

Popular Posts