Michelangelo Buonarroti di Simone - my new book!


The David's tush - in Piazza della Signoria (The REAL David's tush is in the Accademia. This is a copy - but the original used to be in this spot. I say, no matter where it is...it is a nice tush.)


Florence, Italy - home to Michelangelo Buonarotti di Simone


The inspired. Brunelleschi's Il Duomo and Giotto's Bell Tower


Piazza della Signoria, Florence. Lunch time.

I haven't had a good book for six months. This is not like me. I am a 4 book a month kind of gal, but I just lost my juice this past Spring - the Lee work stuff, the "are we really leaving New York" question (we didn't btw), the Izzy heart problems (which have resolved themselves), the living again with Lee stuff. Just stuff and I couldn't find a book in which to escape when I most needed it.

But, this past week I heard about Young Michelangelo by John T. Spikes on NPR and I was compelled to buy it immediately. I got it just in time for this trip and I am enthralled. It reminds me of sitting in an Art History class with a really great professor. It is a bit academic, but incredibly interesting. And because it is about Florence (so far) the places and people are familiar - something I have heard about before when Lee and I took the Renaissance Art History class in Florence in 2006. But, somehow, my brain is latching on to it this time - reading it. So, it is so much fun to noodle with Lee about it. IF you like biographies and history and art, it is really fantastic. The author is known for his book on Carravagio (which is next on my read list based on this one.) I'll fill you in on what I've learned that sticks in my next post. As Lee and I are planning a trip to Italy next Spring, I feel like it is getting me in shape for the trip. It is just yummy to have my brain working in the world of words.

Speaking of words, I am just carrying on and meandering...something like the streets of Florence. Ciao.

Comments

Popular Posts