Hippie Salad Recipe - Otherwise Known as Kitchen Sink Salad

The salad - this is what the carrots look like.

Sprouted beans from Linden Hills Coop - in a small bag near the other sprouts. They add the "crunch" to the salad and are just delicious! The restaurant used black-eyed peas, but I don't want to cook the dried version. Too lazy.


I over-promised and under-delivered. I told you I'd have this up 2 days ago....hope your lettuce hasn't wilted in the wait.

So, since I made this up based on what I saw and tasted, I don't have a real recipe. Just use my hands for measuring. This makes enough salad for both Lee and me to have a big plateful for lunch.

A handful + some of mixed greens.
A handful + some of Micro greens (these take it to the next level
if you can find them! I get mine at the coop or from a local farmer /
farmer's market. You could try a good arugula instead.)
A small handful of alfalfa sprouts
A small handful of sprouted beans (also from the coop in the produce
section.)

A small handful of sunflower seeds
A large carrot - grated with a potato peeler into strips

Dressing:
About 1/2 of a juicy lemon - may need more if it isn't juicy (maybe 2 T.)
Best quality olive oil - REALLY, it makes a difference. About 3 T - 1/4 c
Touch of salt and pepper
The salad at the restaurant had about a Tablespoon of pesto added. I have
done it with and without and both ways are fine.

That's it. You could add thin slices of purple onion if you really love onion.

Add a bran muffin with raisins and you are set to go. (That may have been the wrong thing to say. :-) Well, lets just say, this is lots of good fiber and your body will be really happy.

The whole thing makes me feel like I should be wearing faded bell-bottoms, a pucker top, and my Kork-ease, listening to Maria Muldaur while making stuffed green peppers from Diet for a Small Planet (for those of you who are too young, this is about 1975 - 76.) I really did all those things.

Happy weekend! Buon Apetito.

Comments

Popular Posts