Random Ideas about Aging and Embarrassment

This happened to me today, March 3, 2014:

I have a client who recently moved into a home and wants to hire an organizer. She travels, she has 2 other homes. She has a busy life and housekeeping is not her highest priority. (God love her!) So I sent her the name of a lovely organizer I know.

The organizer wrote back:

P.S>


Sometimes clients will take my number, and be embarrassed to call. Assure her that I have seen everything, and our work is confidential. We can set a two or three hour session and move mountains!!

I wrote back to the organizer:

Lorie is my age - we no longer get embarrassed! 
We've run through all the embarrassment we carry in a lifetime by now. :-)



I had never really thought about this before I wrote this today. But I actually think it is true. It is as if life is graceful enough to give you only so much "embarrassment" in your life and then you run out and never have to worry about that again. It would be hard to embarrass me now. At 60, I have made such a wretched fool of myself over the years that I don't know what's left to worry about.

It's your life. Not someone else's. So what is there to be embarrassed about, really? Who cares if other people see things differently?

This does not excuse bad manners, however! I'm talking about feeling ashamed or embarrassed by the life we've created, lived, chosen - even when it is in the middle of looking like a train-wreck. Who knows what will rise out of the ashes? Who knows when the Phoenix will take form?

Remember, that Thoreau guy had a few good ideas:

“If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music he hears, however measured or far away.” 
― Henry David Thoreau

“Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you've imagined.” 
― Henry David Thoreau

“Not till we are completely lost or turned around... do we begin to find ourselves.” 
― Henry David Thoreau





Comments

Popular Posts