A Home in Charleston

I am going to write about the making of a new home. We bought a home (condo) in Charleston last month. Charleston is our happy place. We have no idea what we will do with this. I love that city and really have since I left there in 1985. I've been able to live without it, obviously, but more recently, have longed to return. Happily, Lee gets it, too. Walking, green year round, a palm tree in front of our home, antiques, 18th and 19th Century architecture, a remarkable food culture and people who love to be helpful.

Icy, cold winter here has gotten the better of me. I no longer want to live forever in a place I have to remove my shoes at the door. Still this is a terribly complicated matter. We ADORE our friends in Minneapolis. I LOVE my work and my clients and this is where my work is. So, I imagine doing something flexible and creative and seamless when it comes to serving my clients. And, still, I don't know exactly how that will work. But, I've done it before when I lived half time in NYC. We are keeping our beautiful 510 apartment as the home base for my business. Mostly I am hoping and expecting to enrich my life and my work by spending time in Charleston. For now, we'll rent the condo on VRBO except for the times we'll want to be there.

******Just this week I purchased 4 pieces of furniture from Charleston for clients in Minneapolis and arranged to have them shipped here. Antiques ROCK in Charleston!*******

A few snips and snaps:

1860 Greek Revival - the first floor is our home - with that GREAT PIAZZA
( Charleston's name for the more pedantic "porch". )

Image with the blow up mattress and nothing else. Original heart pine floors c. 1860 and fireplace.

I'll be painting the walls - oh, I am such a just want it white gal! (Though this white will be
Ben Moore Navajo White to match the existing trim.) Again, the gorgeous heart pine floors, another fireplace in the Living Room (this would have been the original dining room probably. 12 foot ceilings! Woo hoo!

Piazza with great view of Palmetto tree and church steeple.
This is furniture the owner's left for us - perfectly useful for now!

French doors in both of the main rooms onto the piazza. Crazy beautiful indoor - outdoor living.

This is the in process bedroom after some the antiques were delivered and before
room is painted...But after I was trying out the colors on the walls!

Another view of the Bedroom - with great old vintage wingback chairs I found
in Charleston in musty green leather. 





Comments

Popular Posts