My LIfe


Lee's Gin and Tonic


My cooking mess.


Game Day Chili with Cilantro and Cheddar


Go, Brett!

There is a sweet Iris Dement song called "My Life." Here are the lyrics of the first verse and chorus:

My life, it don't count for nothing.
When I look at this world, I feel so small.
My life, it's only a season:
A passing September that no one will recall.

But I gave joy to my mother.
And I made my lover smile.
And I can give comfort to my friends when they're hurting.
And I can make it seem better for a while.

What I love about this song is how much it makes me appreciate the most simple moments. And tonight I was feeling that. Just back from a walk to my gorcery in NY, interacting with the stock boys who were dying to know how the Jets were doing in the playoff game, collecting my organic beef from the very cute, young, dark butcher - who becomes a butcher these days? "Enjoy the rest of your weekend, Ma'am."

"You, too. Thanks," I smiled.

Then I headed home in the 40-degree mist. I was thinking how much I love the dampness - how good my skin feels. I have spent time in Colorado where I need to embed myself in a tube of chapstick. I can't stand it! I love humidity. Have you ever seen a 70-year from South Carolina? They look fantastic!

Anyway, I came home and Lee was in his throne - the brown leather chair, watching the end of the Jets - Colts game. Well, sadly, the Jets lost. But, this was just foreplay. The real game was the Vikings vs. the Saints. So I hit the kitchen, opened my vino and got to cookin'. This being a football Sunday, what else could I make but chili?

So, I did and at one point, I turned to Lee and said, "I am in bliss. Cooking here in my little kitchen, everything at my fingertips. Walking to the store, the library, everything a walk. Here with you in this little apartment. I like this little life."

It is hard to describe. I am in my element, at home. I'm a cliche. But I am happy.

Comments

Popular Posts