Rain and Mekea

I know everyone here in Minneapolis is suffering from shock and awe  - the shock of yet another rainy day and the awe that it could possibly be true that the percentage of sunny days in the last 60 makes us the gloomiest city in the country, I think. Lee told me 9 days of sun in the last 60. That is 15% sunny days or, in a year, that would only be 45 - 50 sunny days. Imagine if you were told you can have 7 weeks of sun, then - poof! - it's gone for the rest of the year. For the rest of the 45 weeks. Gray. Rain. Well that is the reality in Minneapolis this spring. 15% sun. Who would live here unless you already do? I have clients who just moved here and I think they are really questioning their sanity.

This is not inspiring. I keep waiting for something. I'm like a pregnant woman in my 9th month waiting for the blessed event. It never, ever comes. I'm just waiting. I don't get dressed up anymore because I am waiting for the time that calls for something festive and happy and cute and nice. Who wants to put on sandals and white linen in this soggy swamp of a place?

So I wear my rainboots, my very worn through the snaps cargos and my black nylon workout top and that is really it. That's all I feel like wearing. I don't care how I look anymore. I don't exercise because I'm primarily a walker and, oh, that's fun now.

Whatever...blah, blah, blah about that.

However, this is inspiring!

On a more heightened note, I heard the most uplifting and, rather unbelievable story this week. One of my clients from the past is a gorgeous woman with three beautiful daughters, a charming husband and a happy Linden Hills life. I helped Mekea with architectural selections when she was building their home a couple years ago. I also know her sister, Meg - and talented writer she is - I've also helped Meg a bit with their home. 

Following my 'youngins' on Instagram this weekend because they are traveling and posting moments from their trips, I found a photo of Meg in the hospital with Mekea. Of course, I was concerned. Followed that string of information to Facebook I discovered the most outrageous and courageous story. For those of you who don't know this (and I'm betting plenty do!) here is a link to the Facebook page: 

Jack and Mekea, his "Lifesaver"

http://acertainkidney.blogspot.com/

A little 6-year old boy in Mekea's neighborhood needed a kidney and well, you just need to check out the link....

All I can say is that Mekea Kaplan Duffy has set a new bar for the rest of us. Godspeed, Mekea. 

So, now I think it is safe to say, I might stop complaining about the weather.

Comments

  1. thank you, A. lots of love from my family to you. --m.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a bit of a sad post. I could not imagine having so much rain and no sun. Though, you probably get to rock some really awesome rain boots and coats.


    http://online-phd-uk.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts