Kids These Days

I was just having my early evening wine with Lee while we watch McNeil News Hour and cast judgement about the state of the world. Then, I remembered what I observed at the beach house in Santa Cruz this past week and had to remind Lee by pontificating.

"You know, I've been a little worried about our literary future - kids spend so much time Twittering and Facebooking and thinking in really short phrases. But, after being at the beach this past week, I'm not worried," I said. " To wake up in the morning and see the kids reading at the table was just unbelievable."

"Yeah, it was," Lee responded.

"Of course, they are Waldorf kids," I said with a suck-up smile. "Maybe I should blog about this. It really was impressive. Will was reading Kafka, for god's sake."

"Yeah, you should definitely blog about that. It is really cool."

So, I am. And here it is:

Will Watson (age 18 and off to Carleton College this fall), his girlfriend, Lizzie, off to the University of Minnesota and little sister, Isabelle, going into 5th grade really were ALL reading - not just once - but every day. They sat at the table and read. They lounged on the sofa and read. The cousins came and they all brought books! At least five different kids, ages 10 - 18 were reading at the beach. When they weren't reading, they were doing crossword puzzles, playing cards, and building sand castles. Childhood as it should be.

I was really impressed. I'm not so worried anymore.

Comments

Popular Posts