Barcelona: Dia Quatro


Matisse, above.


Dali, 1923. Do you think he was channeling Matisse?


Izzy contemplating the installation.


Surrounding the car - golden statues. Loved these.


This is one of his more famous pieces. Quite funny.


LOVED the colors in this room- the mauve walls!


A bedroom installation of some kind - again, the color palette inspired me.


Some amazing Art Nouveau pieces.


He did a piece of Freud - who he thought was one of the geniuses of the 20th Century. Also did Picasso and I forget who else. Lee enjoyed this one.

First, Merry Christmas to you all. I have some catching up to do.

Muy male (though I may be mixing my Spanish and Italian here.) I got kind of sick on Tuesday, just queasy, then achey, then a little temperature, and when I sat down to write, all I wanted to do was sleep. But, we've been ping-ponging all around Barcelona. Because who has time to be sick on a vacation? So I'll catch you up with the Cliff Notes version....

Tuesday: Off to Fuegueres to the Salvador Dali Museum. I was not so hot to go - this is the day I got sick, but decided at the last minute I would. It requires some commitment; it is a 2 hour train ride on the most uncomfortable train - just hard, hard, hard seats that put my tush to sleep before the ride was over and made me think back surgery was around the corner for me. God knows why Dali put his museum here; I assume maybe he lived in Figureres. Well, the place was, as you might imagine...a trip. I am not a huge fan of Dali's work. It is fine. I am rather neutral, but I did discover that I madly LOVE his installations of rooms and sculptural pieces, which I didn't know a thing about. I simply have to show you the photos. I felt that Horst Rechelbacher from Minneapolis AVEDA fame and whose taste I have always admired, MUST have visited the Dali museum and used it for inspiration. (If you are ever in Minneapolis or I can get a shot, look at the statues on top of his Intelligent Nutrients building.) I simply loved it in the end, but would have been happier if it was a walk or a cab ride rather than four hours by train. By the way, it has been pouring rain and 38 - 45 degrees for three days. Not so great for touring a new city. We are drenched, but today, Christmas Day - it is glorious and a shining blue sky.

Comments

Popular Posts